Monday, December 8, 2014

Shapes and Candy...What else is the world made up of?

For my presentation I decided to focus on a topic that my Pre-Kindergarten class seems to struggle with, Math. Many of my students are still struggling with identifying shapes, so I decided I would do this lesson on shape recognition and counting the number of sides on each shape to help us identify the shape. As a class we are going to count the sides of a triangle, square, and circle together. I plan to have volunteers come up and help trace the sides of the shapes for me.

There is a quick song to help us remember how many sides these shapes has. It also explains that shapes are all around us; at home, in school, and in our environment. I am going to test your knowledge of shapes by playing a game of "I spy this shape" with the class. After our shapes are identified in the objects on the smart board we will continue to our final activity.

I wanted to make learning about shapes fun and exciting, so our students will sort out a bag of Hershey's, M&M's and Starburst onto a document with a circle, triangle and square on it. Recognizing which shape each candy is, and which shape it belongs in on their worksheet.
I hope you enjoy this presentation!

1 comment:

  1. I think that is a great idea to use technology to help them with shapes, and the idea of using candy to have them sort the different shapes in a hands-on way. I think children tend to learn better if they can put their hands on something, touch, and/or feel something. And by incorporating, not only a visual for your students, but an interactive lesson, you are allowing them to really understand shapes! (And what kid doesn't like candy?!) I think that your activity will be exciting for all!
    Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete