Monday, October 27, 2014

Educational Apps Evaluation Forms

When playing around with new apps for the iPad in the classroom, I found that there were many different apps for similar topics. Exploring further, I found that some apps seemed to be much more beneficial than others. I also found that some apps that I seemed to enjoy or find the most intriguing and useful were not necessarily apps that I would want to incorporate into my classroom.

When looking at the two different evaluation forms, I found that one was more of a chart rubric (which I am used to seeing when looking at my own grades), and the other was a little bit more in depth about what it was looking for.

In the end, I believe that the critical evaluation of content-based mobile app evaluation is better rounded and overall a better evaluation of an educational app. The Evaluation Rubric for iPod Apps did not ask for a title of the app, a creator,  grade level, or even the content area. So basically, you don't know what you are looking at the evaluation for. Also the critical evaluation asked for 10 different components rather than the 6 asked in the other evaluation rubric. This made a huge difference because the critical evaluation questions asked for components to be evaluated that are more geared toward how they affect the learner (reporting, sound, instructions and support). I also loved how the critical evaluation asked for which topics of Bloom's Taxonomy were covered within the app.

After looking at the evaluations side by side decided to total up what the same app would have scored on both apps. On the evaluation rubric the app I evaluated scored a 54%, where as when I calculated the score on the critical evaluation it only scored a 40%. This difference is because of the amount of questions asked, as well as what was asked for on the form. The critical evaluation I believe will better weed out the most useful apps from others simply by asking more questions about how they will impact the student.

No comments:

Post a Comment