Thursday, October 9, 2014

Learning Disabilities

When watching the F.A.T City Workshop video there were countless times that I sat back and felt empathy for children. It is so hard to understand what a child goes through in a day of schooling, let alone a child with a learning disability. After watching the video you realize what you are personally guilty of doing and it makes you reconsider how you talk, think, and act as an educator.

What really stuck me was the section about anxiety. Being the person standing in the front of the room it is easy to tell which children are struggling with nerves. I loved how he mentioned the "sudden interest in your shoes", it really is true and we are all guilty of doing it. When a teacher makes a child feel rushed or nervous they immediately shut down and feel incapable of doing the task. I will always reconsider how I am asking children to answer me after seeing this, it made me feel so sad that children are suffering and it is being blamed on laziness or lack of motivation.

The other main point that really struck my attention was the visual perception piece. When staring at that photograph I was confident that it was a little girl in a jacket looking at another child's shadow. When he showed the camera that it was the face of a cow I was shocked. Things truly are not as they seem or as simple as black or white. Sometimes there are children who need a little extra to feel comfortable and at ease in their classrooms, and it is the teacher's duty to find each and every one of them and help them to be successful.


No comments:

Post a Comment