Saturday, October 25, 2014

Websites

This week when beginning to think about making a website I have to admit that I initially thought it would be much harder. Google Sites made making a website incredibly easy. I loved how user friendly it was and how much freedom you had to create the website exactly how you wanted it to be. I decided to create my website as a Classroom website. Click here if you want to view it!

I really wanted my website to be free and fun when viewing it, but also visually appealing. Since I work in Early Childhood currently, freedom and exploration just made sense for my classroom site. I included what I thought were the most important pages: about me. assignments, calendar, and schedule. This way the parents would be able to get to know a little bit more about me and my background, as well as my teaching philosophy and beliefs. Assignments were more for parents as well. This page is intended to keep families engaged in their child's learning and to help them continue learning and practice at home. The calendar page is simply to keep families updated on current themes of the week or open house days. And lastly the schedule page is to give families a brief outline of our day. This way families are aware of what their child is doing an expected to be learning, and when.

Overall creating a website was incredibly fun and easy to do. I know I am going to be making more and I can honestly say that I am excited to do so!

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree. Creating a website is no longer something you have to hire someone to do! It's great that there are interfaces that guide you through the design and create simple applications that really are user-friendly! The only concern for me now is... how am I going to manage all of my new websites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you easily could make a website using Google because my experience with Weebly was not so. Formatting options were limited and seemed rather generic in my opinion. I had a heck of a time inserting pre-made documents to my page for unexplainable reasons, which like you would be very important so that I could communicate with both students and parents through my website. I want the ability to post updates and assignments in a sort of blog style but under separate pages (if that makes sense) and am hoping I could use the Google site builder to achieve that.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete